Thursday, November 15, 2007

professionalist

Can you make a living as a reader? Whenever people ask me what I want to be when I grow up, I give them a bemused look and make things generally uncomfortable until they get it and walk away. Artwork, music, and literature admirer? Mallory just figured out that she wants to be a museum curator, which sounds marvelous when someone asks you that dreadful question. I need to start coming up with original replies. "Egg-Hatcher," for example, or "Riceberg Creator." Or I could hit the emotional spot and say "happy," but that's kinda lame. Ideas?

This made me feel more optimistic about my future. If all else fails, I can always ship myself to Turkey and mine the filling they use in Hot Pockets. (linked from dooce)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you actually can make a living as a reader. You can review books and if you get a good rep and get into a big-time newspaper you'll make money for reading. You have to read a shit-ton though.

Anonymous said...

p.s. at the risk of being a spammer, I'd appreciate getting feedback on my blog at crazedpeanut.blogspot.com from a fellow literature admirer. It won't actually let me log on right now, but you can still read it.